--delete doesn't work when transferring many files

Granzow, Doug (NCI) granzowd at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jul 24 12:08:01 EST 2002

Is it possible that the destination directory is filling up?  I believe
rsync saves deletes until the end, so that it knows there are no IO error
conditions that would cause it to exit without deleting.  Filling up the
destination filesystem is probably one of those error conditions.  Another
possibility would be permissions problems on the destination preventing
rsync from writing to the target directory.

Try adding another v to your command line ("-rtvv") to get more verbosity;
rsync may tell you why it is skipping the deletes.

You could add --ignore-errors to force the --delete, but I would recommend
finding the cause of the problem first.