superlifter - Backup v.s. file distribution.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Jul 23 21:12:01 EST 2002

I would like to suggest that different programs be used for backups than
for file distribution.

While the two applications have a lot in common, and could probably
share a common library, there are some significant differences in what
they need to do.

These differences can add needless complexity to the design if a single
program is used to do both.

A backup program is mainly concerned with making an exact copy,
including the file and security attributes.  Generally the same platform
and security domain is used for the client and the receiver.

So while there may need to be platform specific code for to save and
retrieve some of the attributes, no translation or special storage files
are needed.

A file distribution program on the other hand, needs to be concerned
with cross platform issues, so needs to know about text or binary files,
but does not need to be concerned with reading or writing security
information.  It may need to have attribute/information "meta" files to
assist in delivering consistent cross platform information.

I plan to post a bit more about that in response to some questions
raised from my previous post about superlifter and OpenVMS.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only