strip setuid/setgid bits on backup (was Re: small security-related rsync extension)

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Jul 15 17:51:01 EST 2002

On 15 Jul 2002, Dan Stromberg <strombrg at nis.acs.uci.edu> wrote:

> The issue was that demand
> paging would glitch from .nfs* for no good reason.

That is an extremely unconvincing argument for changing rsync.

> > Is it possible to just rsync onto the NFS server, rather than onto the
> > clients?  That would probably be faster, and avoid sillyrename.
>
> Yes, of course.  This has been our intent all along.

I don't think you will get sillyrename files by operating only on the
server.  A quick scan of the Linux 2.4.18 kernel source shows that
sillyrename is only done in the client, which agrees with my understanding
of the role they play in NFS.  So the whole discussion is moot.

--
Martin