strip setuid/setgid bits on backup (was Re: small security-related rsync extension)

Dan Stromberg strombrg at nis.acs.uci.edu
Thu Jul 11 18:57:01 EST 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:20:09PM -0600, Robert Weber wrote:
> > > This brings up an issue that I believe can be solved in a simpler way than
> > > with brute force C code.  I suspect some of you will cringe when you hear
> > > this, but a taintperl log parsing program would be best for this.  rsync
> > > could generate a verbose log file that is not human readable, designed to
> > > be read by a perl postprocessing script.  I think this would allow greater
> > > flexibility, and modularize the functionality to avoid some possible
> > > security problems.  This way log parsing would not be done at the
> > > authentication level of rsync(root) but at some lower level with read
> > > access to the log file.  Does this sound like a reasonable solution?
> >
> > Perl should be avoided.  Perl is proof that sysadmins don't grok
> > language design.
> >

> Understood.  However, how about separating the log parsing anyway?  There
> are many pre-built log file parsing programs out there.  A verbose, and
> consistant log format could allow more flexibility.

I personally can live with log parsing.  It seems unnecessarily
complicated for the enduser, and I worry that not making rsync do the
right thing by default will lead to an increased number of breakins.  I
personally can handle the parsing; I'm more worried about the people who
won't even realize they need to do parsing to get reasonable behavior
from a security perspective.

In other words, if you insist, so be it.

--
Dan Stromberg                                               UCI/NACS/DCS