(there was no subject, but about rsync/ssh"

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Thu Jul 11 07:11:02 EST 2002

In order to do rsync over ssh without providing a password, you must be
able to ssh without a password.  The --password-file= option is to provide
a  password for a rsyncd server (run as rsync --daemon) password.  rsync
cannot provide a password to an external transport like ssh or rsh.  You
will find that if you do "ssh -l wl 192.1.4.231 uname -a", for instance,
it will ask for a password.  That's where your password prompt comes from.
Here is the relevant section of the man page:"
     --password-file
          This option allows you to provide a password in a  file

SunOS 5.7            Last change: 1 Mar 1999                   18

User Commands                                            rsync(1)

          for  accessing  a  remote  rsync server. Note that this
          option is only useful when  accessing  a  rsync  server
          using  the  built in transport, not when using a remote
          shell as the transport. The  file  must  not  be  world
          readable. It should contain just the password as a sin-
          gle line.
"
In the future, you're likely to get your answer faster by going directly
to the rsync at lists.samba.org address, where your question will be seen by
all interested users, and you will probably see more creative answers than
mine.
Good luck.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917 office, 3039210301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

ÍõÀò <wtwl at hust.edu.cn>
07/11/2002 03:10 AM