Configuration error--Can any one help me out

maniezhilan maniezhilan at naturesoft.net
Thu Jul 11 02:29:01 EST 2002

Hi all,

I have configured the configuration files rsyncd.conf,rsyncd.secrets and
pid files of Server side.
when I try to execute the the following command on client side, I am
getting this error.

rsync -avzrpog backup at 192.168.0.17::test /home/backup
--password-file=/home/backup/password

Error Messages:

@ERROR: auth failed on module test

Server Log Messages:

 rsyncd[7490]:secrets file must not be other-accessible (see strict
modes option)
 rsyncd[7490]: continuing without secrets file
 rsyncd[7490]: auth failed on module test from rt.naturesoft.com
(192.168.0.174)

Can any one help me.

My Configuratoin file for rsyncd.conf

#### rsyncd.conf file ####
uid = backup
gid = backup
pid file = /etc/rsyncd.pid
syslog facility = daemon

[test]  #Module name could be any name
path = /home/backup
comment = user related any info
auth users = backup
hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24
secrets file =/etc/rsyncd.secrets
max connection = 0
#use chroot = true
timeout = 60
#### End of configuration file ####

My Configuration file for rsyncd.secrets

backup:backup

Can any one help me out.

With Regards,

J.Mani Ezhilan