Why can't I save/restore block devices?

Ph. Marek marek at bmlv.gv.at
Fri Jul 5 06:40:01 EST 2002

On Friday 05 July 2002 13:31, Arthur van Leeuwen wrote:
> Can you dd the partition (or parts of it) to a temporary store, and then
> rsync that temporary image (of part of) the partition?
No, don't have the space. And btw, why should I copy a perfectly seekable
device to a file just to compare it? And afterwards copy the modified file
back onto the partition?
Sorry, no.

I think it would suffice to change the check IS_REG() in generator.c and get
the size not from stat() but from ioctl(GETBLKSIZE) [?]
After all, a block device is nothing but a big file :-)

Regards,

Phil