Block size optimization - let rsync find the optimal blocksize by itself.

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Tue Jul 2 19:38:02 EST 2002

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:06:30AM +0200, Olivier Lachambre wrote:
> At 09:19 01/07/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>
> >[...]
> >This relies on optimal block size being related for a set of files. I'm not
> >sure that this heuristic actually applies, and I don't know how much benefit
> >this would buy for all the complexity it would add.
> >

> I think that many clients do not care about multiplying complexity by 2 or
> 5, even if the speedup rate is only multiplied by 1.1.

The only problem is, multiplying complexity by 2 or 5 multiplies the bugs by
2 or 5. Are those clients still excited by the 1.1x speedup now?

The other problem with increasing complexity is the "setting" effect that
complexity causes. The more complex code becomes, the harder it gets to
modify, so that 1.1x speedup that introduced 5x complexity now makes it
impossible to implement a much better 1.5x speedup.

In my experience, complex solutions usually have worse performance than
simple ones anyway.

Occam's Razor rules :-)