rsync 2.5.5 and Mac OS X

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Mon Jul 1 08:37:04 EST 2002

I compile rsync on Mac OSX (not sure of the osx version, but uname -a
says it's darwin 5.5) but haven't tried running as a daemon.  I suggest
that you try to debug it further.  setgroups() is only called one place,
in clientserver.c, with parameters setgroups(0, NULL), and only if
the define HAVE_SETGROUPS is set.  This call was a relatively recent
security fix addition to rsync.  The OSX setgroups man page says that the
EINVAL error is only supposed to occur if the first parameter is greater
than NGROUPS_MAX.  Apparently it is also reporting that error if the first
parameter is zero.

- Dave Dykstra