Cygwin, Rsync, and Raid5

James Couzens james at baystreet.com
Thu Jan 31 08:45:16 EST 2002

Hello all!

I've got CGYWIN running on an NT4 server, which in turn allows me to run Rsync as a daemon on this system.  And might I say, it works most excellently, except for one flaw.  It doesn't work on my raid drive(s).  I have a 56 gig NTFS RAID5 drive running off an adaptec raid-port controller card.  I have two other drives in this system, a 4 gig SCSI boot drive, and 60 gig IDE drive.  I can Rsync off the 4 gig SCSI, and 60 gig IDE, but when I try to rsync off the RAID5 setup, the client fails.

root at antitrust:/usr/storage/raid5# rsync -a --stats 10.10.10.15::d ./
@ERROR: chdir failed
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(151)

I've done some poking around for this @ERROR: chdir failed, but with no luck.

If I try on the IDE drive:

root at antitrust:/usr/storage/raid5# rsync -av --stats 10.10.10.15::e/users/james/SSH ./
receiving file list ... done

.... and so on until it completes.

so you can see that it works.  Here is my config:

use chroot = false
strict modes = false
hosts allow = *

[c]
path = /cygdrive/c <- this is my 4gig scsi
read only = yes
list = no

[d]
path = /cygdrive/d <- this is my 5 disc SCSI RAID5
read only = yes
list = yes

[e]
path = /cygdrive/e <- this is my 60 gig IDE
read only = yes
list = yes

Any light anyone could shed on this issue would be most helpful, as the data I really wish to backup is on the RAID obviously.

Cheers,

James

--
James Couzens