Problems using rsyncd.conf

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Wed Jan 30 03:37:44 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 03:03:12PM -0500, Niko Suave wrote:
> I am having a lot of troubles setting up an rsync daemon that works
> properly.  I've inspected the Faq-o-matic and as much of the past
> archives as I can stand, but I can't seem to get any of the solutions
> suggested there to work.
>
> I'm having two problems.
>
> First, I can't get password authentication to work.  I have ensured
> that the password file is only readable by root, and that there is a
> newline following every line (note that this is a UNIX newline and not
> a DOS newline.  One of the FAQ entries suggested that a CRLF combo was
> required, but I assume that can't be right).

Check the log file.  The most common problem is that the secrets file is
group writable.  I don't see a "log file" option so messages should be
going to syslog.

> The second problem is that I am attempting to use "refuse options" to
> ban anyone from executing rsync --delete, but that doesn't seem to
> work (the --delete command is still permitted).  Is this not the sort
> of option that this is intended for?
>   refuse options=delete delete-excluded delete-after force

I investigated and discovered that this is a bug introduced when argument
parsing was converted to using "popt".  All options that are directly
processed by poptGetContext because the argPtr (4th entry in the table)
is non-zero are not calling check_refuse_options().

I'm not very familiar with popt so I don't know how to fix it.  Do you,
Martin?

- Dave Dykstra