option --delete still not completely working (2.5.2)

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Tue Jan 29 05:17:37 EST 2002

Like i said, I think it's a kind of a safety.  Going down entire directory
trees that don't exist on the master can wipe out a whole lot of data,
perhaps unintentionally.  I suspect that close to 100% of people using
--delete pair it with --force.  Without -force, it will not replace a
directory with something else.  It's kind of a case of "we don't want to
by default destroy things in places that don't even exist on the source.
It's a lot like the -f option to rm.  you do a rm -r, even as root, and it
doesn't go where it's not explicitly permitted, but add -f (meaning I
REALLY MEAN IT), it'll do it.  (Has this changed since i last tested it?).

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Phil Howard <phil-rsync at ipal.net>
01/28/2002 09:02 AM