option --delete still not completely working (2.5.2)

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue Jan 29 04:05:38 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 06:47:31AM -0800, tim.conway at philips.com wrote:
> There you go - the symlink versus the populated directory.  It's kind of a
> safety.  To bypass it, add "--force".
>      --force
>           This options tells rsync to delete directories even  if
>           they  are not empty.  This applies to both the --delete
>           option and to cases where rsync tries to copy a  normal
>           file  but  the  destination contains a directory of the
>           same name.
>
>           Since this option was added, deletions  were  reordered
>           to  be  done  depth-first  so  it is hardly ever needed
>           anymore except in very obscure cases.
>
> We have cases like this, and --force was the solution.

I'm the one who put in that wording because I think I didn't completely
understand what it did at the time.  I just changed the wording to

          This option tells  rsync  to  delete  directories  when
          non-directories  (for  example symlinks or plain files)
          take their place even if the  deleted  directories  are
          not  empty.   This  applies to both the --delete option
          and to cases where rsync tries to copy  a  normal  file
          but  the  destination  contains a directory of the same
          name.

and I deleted the second paragraph about "very obscure cases".

- Dave Dykstra