option --delete still not completely working (2.5.2)

Phil Howard phil-rsync at ipal.net
Sun Jan 27 13:15:44 EST 2002

This problem has persisted for as long as I've used rsync.  When
the --delete option is used, not all files are deleted from the
target, even though said files are not present in the source.
The particular cases that cause this are when the target has a
directory with files, and the source is something else, at least
a symlink (this is the case I have seen).  I'm taking a guess to
say that when the checks for deletion is done, it fails to do a
recursion into the target directory to delete the files therein
because the source didn't have a directory there.