suid files and bsd

Andrew Flury andrew at flury.org
Fri Jan 25 13:10:07 EST 2002

Hi there,

The "s" in the permissions isn't in reference to the setuid bit.  It's
referencing the fact that those files are Unix domain sockets (if
they were setuid, the "s" would be in place of the user's "x", ie
"-rwsr-xr-x").  The reason it is failing is because BSD's mknod
(which rsync uses to create all special files) cannot be used to
create Unix domain sockets.  This also applies to named pipes
A while back, I created a patch for rsync that would use
socket(2)/bind(2) and mkfifo(2) to create those special files on
systems where those functions are available.  You can get the
patch here:

http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2000-December/003349.html

I have not tried applying the patch to 2.5.x.  It's possible that
it would require some tweaking.

Good luck.

Andrew