Wierd problem with rysnc.

Sri Ramkrishna sramkris at ichips.intel.com
Fri Jan 25 11:17:18 EST 2002

Okay, thats pretty fair.  Here is what I'm trying to say.

The source directory tree has:

/a/b/c/d/

which has a bunch of subdirectories (say x,y,z}  in it.  Because we don't
want to mirror every subdirectory in the d/ directory we have individual
rsyncs that copy different subdirectories to a destination tree.

The destination is
/f/g/h/i/

and I have an rsync command that looks
like this thats run for each subdirectory in the source {x,y,z etc}.

rsync --archive --delete --backup --suffix=.backup
-rsync-path=/some/stdpath/to/rsync --exclude-from=/var/tmp/exclude-file srchost:/a/b/c/d/x/ desthost:/e/f/g/h/x/

we do this for y, z subdirectories etc.

Each of these subdirectories {x,y,z} have certain subdirectories where
there are files we want to exclude.  So lets say that the "x" subdirectory
has a directory called "ath_version1".  There might be other directories like
"ath_version2" also under the x/ directory tree.

We have an exclude file that looks like this:
ath_version1/bin/cse_plot.csh
ath_version1/bin/cse_plot.csh_shigeki
ath_version1/bin/RCS/cse_plot.csh,v

On the source side cse_plot.csh is a real file.  On the destination
the cse_plot.csh is a symlink that points to cse_plot.csh_shigeki.

When rsync runs, the cse_plot.csh (a symlink) is replaced by the
source copy of the cse_plot.csh file.  However, other files are not
touched.  cse_plot.csh_shigeki for instance doesn't exist on the source
side and is left alone.  We have put other symlinks that point to the
cse_plot.csh_shigeki as well in there but those have been deleted not
replaced with real files (because they is no corresponding file in the source
to replace it)

The symlink cse_plot.csh points to cse_plot.csh_shigeki which is not in RCS.
When we made a copy of cse_plot.csh_shigeki and checked in RCS, rsync didn't
delete the copy. Seems the rsync can not handle symlink properly.

I sometimes add rsync with a --verbose --verbose --verbose option but the log
doesn't tell me anythign about why it deleted the symlink.

Any help would be great.

   sri