rsync: future of the --server option

Martin A. Brown mabrown at securepipe.com
Fri Jan 25 08:33:28 EST 2002

Hello list members,

I notice here that the --server option is listed as undocumented.

	http://rsync.samba.org/rsync/fom-serve/cache/88.html

My question is that the --server option is not documented, and I'd like
not to build functionality into one of my systems without trusting that it
will be there in the future.

I was able to find the --server option simply by watching the rsync
entries in the process table when I did not use the command restrictions
for the DSA key.  I, however, would very much like to use belt and
suspenders:  I would like to restrict access to this DSA key and also
restrict this DSA key to this individual rsync command.

I have been able to make rsync do my bidding by calling...here's a snippet
of my .ssh/authorized_keys2 file:

command="/usr/bin/rsync --quiet --delete --links --perms --recursive \
   --server /home/mabrown/miccawillow/" ssh-dss AAAA....

For now, I'm happy to continue using the version of rsync I am using
(rsync-2.4.6) as I have been very happy with it.  I would like to know
what the development plan includes for the undocumented --server option
(and the --sender option, too I guess).

Thanks for a great product.

-Martin

Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown at securepipe.com