SSH

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Thu Jan 24 06:34:01 EST 2002

2002-01-23-09:08:58 birger at takatukaland.de:
> David L Nickel schrieb am Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:02:30AM -0500:
> > I added the enviroment variable RSYNC_RSH=ssh and every things seems to work
> > fine, but there is no way to tell if rsync is actually using ssh or not?
>
> a. when in progress, watch top(1) or ps(1).  You should see ssh processes.
>
> b. Utilise tcpdump(8).

  c. Make the command "ssh -v" and watch the verbose debugging output of
     ssh (which gets sent to stderr, which means rsync isn't bothered by
     it).

  d. Disable rsh altogether, remove the rsh client, stop and remove
     the rsh daemons [likely from inetd.conf], from both systems,
     and make sure rsync still works (my favourite approach).

-Bennett