Rsync 2.5.1 on Solaris 8 reverse lookup failures

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Jan 24 02:20:08 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 12:36:02PM -0000, Craig Donnelly wrote:
> I get the following log messages using rsync 2.5.1 compiled on Solaris 8
> when using the "hosts allow" option in rsyncd.conf:
>
> 2002/01/23 12:09:51 [28276] rsync: reverse name lookup mismatch on fd0 -
> spoofed address?
> 2002/01/23 12:10:18 [28276] rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (16 bytes
> read so far)
>
> Resolv.conf/DNS are configured and working properly with both A and PTR
> records available.
> The problem does not occur on a Solaris 7 machine.

The first message is a known problem in rsync 2.5.1, but it is usually a
harmless warning so it is probably not related to the second message which
can occur from a lot of different causes.  Note also that 27 seconds
elapses between the two messages.  You'd have to give more details about
your rsyncd.conf file and your command string in order for us to give you
any advice about the second message.

- Dave Dykstra