meaning of "IO Error: skipping the delete...."

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Jan 23 23:33:34 EST 2002

On 23 Jan 2002, Nitin Agarwal <nitin.agarwal at timesgroup.com> wrote:
> Thanks for replying.
> As adviced by you, we again ran the command by removing the -v option. The
> error it gives now is as follows:
> readlink dispatcher/9/done/020119.185124.0000251489.0003: No such file or
> directory
>
> We went through our file system for finding the above file, and we found the
> file name to be different. It was: "020119.185124.0000251489.3" And this file
> was NOT PRESENT in the main server (source)

Was some other program accessing this area of the filesystem while
rsync was running?  It seems likely that this file was created and
then deleted all while rsync was running.  As a result, rsync expected
to be able to transfer the file, and was disappointed not to do so.

If the same problem occurs and you are sure no other program is
manipulating the directory then there may be a problem in rsync.

--
Martin