Permissions Problems

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Fri Jan 18 08:12:48 EST 2002

Doug:  you're not doing anything wrong, from your description.  You'll
find that if you change the mode on a file on the source that's already
identical to its counterpart on the destination, that change will be
propogated as well.  Changing mode of a directory has no effect on the
modes of its contents, so there was nothing to do to the files in the dir.

That two-way sync you're doing is a bit dangerous, in most circumstances.
On the surface, it makes sense that the most-recently updated file is the
one you want.  In most situations where someone wants that, it's possible
to have changes made on both sides, whereby he who saves last wins, and he
who saves first gets his changes discarded.  Is that ok in your situation?

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

"Doug Summers" <summersd at us.ibm.com>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org