--whole-file option was accidentally changed to --whole

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Jan 17 03:51:16 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 12:40:30PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> Good catch.
>
> Tridge suggested the other day that it's bad to make -W the default
> for local transfers, because it makes behaviour kind of less
> reproducible: people who test rsync locally will see possibly
> different bugs when running it over the network.  I'm inclined to
> agree, but I'm not sure.

I understand that aspect, but I don't think it's nearly as big a
consideration as all the people who were experiencing poor performance when
using rsync over NFS because they didn't know to add -W.  I think if we
just have a --no-whole-file option, people who know what they're doing (or
who ask us what to do) can more closely reproduce the network behavior no a
local system.  Also, in my experience the rsync algorithm itself isn't a
factor in most of the questions that people have about rsync's behavior.

- Dave Dykstra