Where can I download the latest and greatest rsync Win32 binary?

David Starks-Browning starksb at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jan 16 09:46:47 EST 2002

On Tuesday 15 Jan 02, Carlos Gutierrez writes:
> ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/pub/sourceware/cygwin/contrib/rsync/rsync-2.5.1-2.tar.
> bz2
>
> Thanks for the direct link.
> In case anybody needs it, here is a ZIP with rsync and cygwin dll.
> http://www.sca.com.mx/ftp/rsync.2.5.1-2.zip

*Sigh* Please don't do that.  You can't provide the cygwin dll without
also providing the source.  It doesn't matter if you mean well, it
simply isn't permitted.

There are others who have done it right and are providing the cygwin
dll and a precompiled cygwin rsync, with sources.  I don't have the
URL handy but it has come up on this list so a simple archive search
should locate it.  The same search would also probably make it clear
that you can't provide a cygwin+rsync binary distribution without
sources for cygwin.

Also, Cygwin no longer requires a full installation.  You can now pick
and choose what you want, so you can use Cygwin setup.exe to install
*only* the Cygwin package and the rsync package.  That's not the
default, but you are able to click your way to that combination.

Regards,
David