Stable Rsync System Call!

David L Nickel dnickel at aug.edu
Tue Jan 15 06:35:53 EST 2002

Next week are going to start using rsync "live" to mirror our primary and
secondary web servers. I am still trying to iron out a couple of bugs, any
help would be much apprecitated.

Here is my rsync.conf file on my primary web server
############################
use chroot = no
max connections = 5
syslog facility = local3

[www]
    path = /www
    comment = Web Directory
    hosts allow = *.*.1.118
    read only = yes
    list = yes
    uid = root
    gid = wheel
    auth users = rsyncman
    secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

I am calling rsyncing from my secondary machine like so..
rsync -avz rsyncman at web1::www /www

will this call mirror everything exactly like web1.. like deleting files
that were deleted, permission changes..etc. If anybody else has some input
on a better system call be kind and send it to me.

Also, what are the guidlines rysnc uses copys a file... can I go in and
change 1 char and rsync will be pick it up on the next sync?

Thanks
David