Very large quantity of files

sunrise at t-online.de sunrise at t-online.de
Tue Jan 8 20:15:14 EST 2002

Hello,

to explain:
I have two machines running the same hard- and software.
Each has two harddrives 80GB/40GB with 500 megs of RAM and
a 650MHz PIII, running SuSE Linux 7.1 with Kernel 2.2.18.

They are connected on a local 100Mbps Ethernet.

The harddrives are pretty full (total ~94GB) with a very
large quantity of small files. The initial copy has taken about
48 hours. - I didn't worry much about that. -

So, know rsync shall run every night and I have a capacity of
5 hours to do the job. I have started it yesterday the first time
and it needs 14h to do the job and there were not much changes.
I've checked a number of changes and it looks like rsync has done
the job pretty good -- if I dont look to the clock :(

I am using rsync-2.5.1 with the follwing command:

rsync -av --delete /mnt/data /data_bak

The two drives are mounted using nfs. I run a simple script which
calls rsync for each of the two drives.

Is there anything wrong?
Would you prever another way for that job?

I'm new to rsync and I have started reading previous posts, but
found nothing that really helps me.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Regards,
Juergen