rsync-2.5.1 / popt patches

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Tue Jan 8 07:42:06 EST 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Albert Chin wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 05:58:46PM -0600, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> > The following popt files need patches in order to compile using Compaq C
> > on OpenVMS.  These patches should also be needed on a Tru64 or LINUX on
> > ALPHA using Compaq C.  Except for the alloca issue, these should work on
> > any ANSI compliant compiler.
>
> Except for the getaddrinfo issue I posted earlier. there are *no*
> problems using the Compaq C compiler on Tru64 UNIX 4.x and 5.x.

At what warning and compliance level?

With the default warning level, some of the failures are silent, but can
cause incorrect code to be generated.

In particular, malloc() will be substituted for the built in alloca()
macro, unless Tru64 has the alloca.h header file.

Of course that could also be dependent on the configure tests for the
alloca() function being fixed.  I will only see the ones that make it into
the config.h.in file.

In some cases at the default warning level, warnings are suppressed
because the compiler assumes it knows what was really intended, even
though the actual code is ambiguous or in violation of the current
standard.

A cross platform product with multiple maintainers generally needs to have
as high a warning level set as can be practically maintained.

With the "questcode" warning level enabled, the Compaq C Compiler even
flags legal code that has a high probability of being in error.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only