rsync w/ openssh hangs on linux

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue Jan 8 01:53:10 EST 2002

Wow, that's a new one.  It's quite surprising that that would cause the
symptoms you described, but I think I can imagine how.  The remote end
would ignore the -e ssh, but it's possible that the -ax could result in
different information being passed back and forth after the large file is
sent if the sender didn't specify the same options.  The rsync protocol is
optimized to send the minimum amount of data back and forth and as a result
it assumes that both sides know exactly where the other is in the exchange,
and if even one byte gets out of sync it can be hopelessly confused.

In general it's almost always a bad idea for a remote shell to do anything
in a user startup script.

- Dave