migration to BitKeeper

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Jan 7 16:49:02 EST 2002

If you only run released (rather than development) versions of rsync
then you can skip this message.

rsync's source tree has been converted from CVS to BitKeeper.  This message
contains brief instructions for people who want to track development or
make contributions.  I think it should take about 30-60 minutes to get
started with BK.  I hope you will agree that it is worthwhile.

First you need to download BK from here:

  http://www.bitkeeper.com/Products.Downloads.html

You might like to do a quick tutorial to learn the concepts.  It's basically
a combination of CVS's repository model, and the open source approach
of mailing around patch sets with comments.

  http://www.bitkeeper.com/Test.html

Anyone can get an anonymous copy of the repository, in which you can
build rsync and make your own changes.

  bk clone -z bk://rsync.bkbits.net/rsync ./rsync-anon

Unlike CVS, your working directory contains the complete history of the
project, so you can generate diffs without using the network.  (This is
great if you're off the net or live somewhere distant like, say, Australia.)
You can also commit changes locally regardless of whether you are
allowed to commit to the parent repository.

By default this directory contains only the history and not the
checked-out files.  Type

  cd ./rsync-anon
  bk -r edit

and then build as normal:

  ./configure
  make

You can also view all the revision history:

  bk revtool

and read the manual

  bk helptool

If you've made a change you would like to share with other people, then you
should commit the change in your own repository and send it to the
rsync mailing list.

I'll shortly be adding SSH access for developers who previously had
direct commit.  For the time being please get an anonymous checkout

If you have work in progress in CVS, then you should at some point make
a patch relative to CVS, and apply that patch to the BitKeeper tree.  The
CVS server will still be available for historical versions.

We will have an unpacked source tree available for anonymous rsync
in the near future.

--
Martin