rsync does not listen on ipv4 ports in daemon mode

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Jan 4 07:00:59 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 11:21:42AM -0800, sean grossman wrote:
> On OpenBSD 2.8 when i start rsync with:
> # rsync --daemon
>
> the daemon doesn't bind to the ipv4 tcp port instead it only listens to
> the ipv6 port. The daemon works properly using the same argument on linux.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> # netstat -la
> Active Internet connections (including servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
>
> tcp        0      0  *.www                  *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp        0      0  grossmang.net.domain   *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp        0      0  localhost.domain       *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp        0      0  *.pop3                 *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp        0      0  *.ftp                  *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp        0      0  *.smtp                 *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp        0      0  *.ssh                  *.*                    LISTEN
> udp        0      0  *.domain               *.*
> udp        0      0  grossmang.net.domain   *.*
> udp        0      0  localhost.domain       *.*
> udp        0      0  *.syslog               *.*
> tcp6       0      0  *.rsync                *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0  *.ssh                  *.*                    LISTEN
> udp6       0      0  *.23999                *.*
>
> # telnet localhost 873
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

You don't say what version you're using, but be sure to use the just-released
2.5.1 because there were some changes with respect to ipv6 in that version.
They weren't tested on OpenBSD so there may be some problems, I don't know.
If you don't really want ipv6 another workaround may be to compile with
configure --disable-ipv6 or use the runtime option -4.  I did the last
modifications because the code was causing the daemon to shut down on Linux
in some cases, but I really don't know anything about how IPv6 things are
supposed to be implemented, and if somebody who knows what they're doing
would take a look at it it would be appreciated.

- Dave Dykstra