--owner --group without root access?

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Thu Jan 3 05:30:24 EST 2002

rsync makes exact copies of filesystems.  It's a mirroring tool, not a
backup tool.  It stores the information as a filesystem, and if it's not
allowed to save group and user id on the filesystem, it doesn't.  Perhaps
you need an archiving system?  maybe doing incremental backups?
That said, if you need to record who owns what, how about using the
--write-batch/--read-batch (rsync+) features?  rsync it once just getting
the files and their permissions.  Then, do it again with --write-batch,
which will create a file containing instructions on how to fix the
ownerships.  then, to restore, you can just rsync the files back, then
apply the ownerships file with --read-batch.  Of course, the batch file
will contain other changes made between the sync and the batch, but at a
quiescent time, it should be minimal, and you'd probably want the changes
anyway.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Philip Mak <pmak at animeglobe.com>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org