2.5.1pre3 - Bugs in configure script / config.h.in breaks build.

John Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Jan 2 11:45:59 EST 2002

Compaq C 6.5
OpenVMS Alpha 7.3

The config.h.in template file is missing the line:

#undef HAVE_INET_NTOP

This caused the resulting CONFIG.H on OpenVMS to not test for the
existance of the inet_ntop() routine in it's system tables.

This configure bug exposed that the prototype in inet_ntop() in RSYNC.H
does not match the one in the Compaq C header files.  This stopped the
build.  I am using a field test version of the compiler, so I will have
follow up on which is the "official" definition, if there is one.

A second issue, is the line:

#undef socklen_t

It is not in the standard format for the other lines in the configure
script.

It would be helpful for it to be:

#undef HAVE_SOCKLEN_T

And then somewhere else, where the defintion is used, or in rsync.h

#ifndef HAVE_SOCKLEN_T
typedef socklen_t size_t
#endif

I can do debugging or testing of the configure scripts.  So someone with
a UNIX platform will need to verify what the fixes to the configure
scripts need to be.

OpenVMS does not execute configure scripts.  They are harder to port
than the applications, and tend to generate incorrect results for the
OpenVMS platform even after they are ported.

Instead, an OpenVMS DCL procedure is used to read the CONFIG.H.IN file
and uses it to search the system libraries to see what routines and
header definitions are present.

This works very well when all of the "#undef" lines are in a standard
format.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only