Solaris, socketpair and chroot

Thomas Quinot thomas at cuivre.fr.eu.org
Thu Feb 28 01:45:23 EST 2002

When using rsync 2.5.2 as daemon on a Solaris 2.5.1 box, I cannot
copy data to rsync volumes with option 'use chroot'; I get the
following messages on the client:
  pipe failed in do_recv
  rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at main.c(375)
  rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (69 bytes read so far)

What seems to occur on the server is that socketpair(3)
(not pipe(2)) is called, which needs to open /dev/ticotsord.
Since I do not have a /dev in the chroot directory,
this call fails.

Disabling HAVE_SOCKETPAIR in config.h seems to resolve the
problem. Is there any way this can be worked around more
appropriately (perhaps by calling socketpair() before going
chrooted)?

Thomas.

--
    Thomas.Quinot at Cuivre.FR.EU.ORG