Write-only option

Jurij Smakov jurij.smakov at telia.com
Wed Feb 27 08:15:40 EST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Dave Dykstra wrote:

> It seems to me that there must be a more fundamental problem with the
> security model of that backup system if users had the ability to read each
> other's files.  Even with a "write only" option, they can overwrite each
> other's files, right?  What if somebody overwrite a crucial file in
> somebody else's area, and that file gets restored from backup?  I think a
> better solution would be to ensure that only the root user has any access
> to the backup area, probably by using a "secrets file" and a --password-file
> that's readable only by root, or better yet use ssh and public/private key
> pair.
>
> - Dave Dykstra

Hi Dave

I am aware of the possibility of overwriting files in spite of write-only
option. I could set up the backup system in such a way only because I
completely trust the users and can be sure, that nobody will do anything
evil. Some are just a little bit more paranoid than the others and would
prefer having the write-only repository. Definitely, a lot more effort
should be put in when setting something like this in a "hostile" user
environment.

Thanks for Your note.

Best regards,

Jurij.