rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(140)

Andrew McGregor Andrew.McGregor at amtrak.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 04:55:24 EST 2002

Hello,

I am getting the following error:

| rsync: open connection using rsh conn /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender
-v . "/home/andrewm/test-rsync/tree/*"
| large_file2
| write failed on large_file2 : Success:06
| rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(271)
| rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (201 bytes read so far)
| rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(140)

I have only just subscribed to this mailing list, so apologies if I have
missed any discussion on this topic.  A MHonArc conversion of rsync.mbox
(from rsync.samba.org) suggests I have.  The 'patch' that has been
mentioned, does it relate to this?  If so, has it been applied to the
source available at: rsync.samba.org?  Else, how can I get hold of it
and apply it?

FYI:

| andrewm at massachusetts:~/test-rsync$ rsync --version
| rsync  version 2.5.2  protocol version 26
| Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
| <http://rsync.samba.org/>
| Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
batchfiles, IPv6,
|               64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

rsync was installed from Debian's 'testing' packages, i.e. not from
source.

| andrewm at connecticut:~$ ls -ltr /home/andrewm/test-rsync/tree/
| total 1425384
| -rw-r--r--    1 andrewm  staff    80999190 Feb 25 16:56 large_file2
<snip> 18 files, all the same size, all ascii randomish text just for
testing.

The files I intend to transfer don't need to be hidden from prying eyes,
but would I benefit from using `ssh' as a more resilient method of
communication than `rsh'?

Any comments appreciated.

Regards

Andrew McGregor