rsync error: unexplained error (code -1) at main.c(883)

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue Feb 26 04:06:02 EST 2002

Check the server's log.  By default it goes to syslog, but you can also
make it go to a file with a "log file = " in rsyncd.conf.  For security
reasons the rsync daemon mode doesn't give away much information to the
client.

Make sure rsyncd.conf is not group-writable, that's a common problem.

- Dave Dykstra