Keep one BIG file in sync

Oliver Krause krauseo at gmx.net
Fri Feb 22 08:37:13 EST 2002

Hi,

after some searching i didn't came up with an answer so please excuse if this
is a total newbie question.

My problem:
I have server A which has a big (>500G) database like file. On server B i
want to have a copy of this file which i don't want to copy each time but
sync the deltas so that only the deltas are written once a day. Bandwidth
between A and B isn't the problem. The sync should be as fast as possible.

So i want to achive somethink like a binary diff -u and patch.

Is rsync the right tool for this? Or will the rsync mechanism create too much
overhead to sync this file? Writing only the deltas is key for me. Is there a
better method?

Thanks ... Oliver