Patch: Accept CR/LF line breaks in exclude files

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Feb 22 04:10:50 EST 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 04:30:53PM -0600, Jordan Russell wrote:
> --exclude-from and --cvs-exclude currently do not accept exclude files that
> use CR/LF (DOS-style) line breaks. It basically behaves as if the files are
> empty. This is rather annoying if the exclude files are generated by Windows
> systems (e.g. if you're using --cvs-exclude and rsync'ing the contents of a
> Samba share that includes .cvsignore files).
>
> Attached is a simple 1-line patch (for 2.5.2) which "fixes" this; it strips
> off any CR character at the end of the line. Could it be committed?
>
> Jordan Russell

Are you talking about on Cygwin or on some native unix?  I'm not sure it
makes sense to modify rsync to strip off carriage returns from every file
it reads.  On the other hand, that makes more sense than doing it for just
exclude files.  On Cygwin it should, certainly, but I think the cygwin
option to handle that automatically has already been enabled.

- Dave Dykstra