STDERR vs STDOUT?

Mack, Daemian DMack at Tickets.com
Sat Feb 16 03:44:32 EST 2002

Hi all.  I'm writing an installation script that uses Cygwin's bash.exe to
launch an rsync.exe process, which is passed arguments.  This performs an
rsync over the Internet.

I'd like to capture stdout to one file, and stderr to another, so that I can
have a clean log of any errors.  However, rsync.exe's use of file
descriptors isn't jiving with my understanding of them.

If I tell rsync to sync with a module that I know is not there in order to
generate an error, error.log is empty, and success.log contains @ERROR:
Unknown module 'whatever.'  Here's the command I'm using:

./rsync.exe -a -c -v -t username at 10.10.10.1::whatever /cygdrive/c/stuff >
success.log 2>error.log

I can't claim mastery over file descriptors, but is this expected behavior?
At the moment, I'm at a loss as to how to capture errors to their own file.

Daemian Mack