error in rsync protocol on large file

Granzow, Doug (NCI) granzowd at mail.nih.gov
Wed Feb 13 02:22:46 EST 2002

An update on this problem...  I get the error below (and the error I
reported previously) when running rsync 2.5.2 compiled from source.  I saw
different behavior when I used the rsync 2.5.2 binary compiled on Solaris
2.5.1 by Dave Dykstra.  That binary complained of "Value too large for
defined data type" whenever it encountered a large file (over 2GB), but did
not exit.  The impression I got was that the Solaris 2.5.1 binary did not
support or even try to support files over 2 GB, where the binary compiled on
Solaris 7 or 8 *thinks* it can support large files but fails, since it exits
as soon as it encounters the large file.

So the problem still remains:  rsync is dying when it encounters a large
file.  One person suggested using --exclude, but this only matches against
file names, not file sizes.  (I can't do "--exclude=size>2GB" for example.)

Questions I still have:

- Is rsync supposed to support files >2GB on Solaris 7 and Solaris 8?

- If so, what is causing the errors I am seeing?  Is there something I can
do at compile time?

- If not, is there a way for it to skip large files gracefully so that at
least the rsync process completes?

leelab/NCBI_Data_old/GenBank/htg
write failed on leelab/NCBI_Data_old/GenBank/htg : Error 0
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(243)

Received signal 16. (no core)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (23123514 bytes read so far)