[path] & module options with SSH

Alberto Accomazzi aaccomazzi at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 7 05:09:22 EST 2002

The discussion about syntax for remote file specification and the exchange
between Martin and Wayne about configure options for rsh make me wonder if
we should push some alternative syntax for specifying the transport protocol
to be used by rsync.

I, for one, always stick to the rsync://host/module syntax when pulling from
an rsync server, and have often wished that the same syntax were available
when doing a push.  I find the URL-style syntax easy to remember and understand,
while the "::" seems much less intuitive (it actually looks perlish to me
because of the way modules are specified in perl).
Among other things, I notice that SUN uses the url syntax in its man pages
describing NFS (they use nfs://host[:port]/pathname).

So what came to mind is to have rsync recognize and use both for push and
pull remote specifications of the form:

	rsync://host/module/file
	ssh://[username@]host/dir/file
	rsh://[username@]host/dir/file

I'm not crazy about the last two, but thought of them while reading messages
about ssh/rsh issues.  Hmm... one problem that this wouldn't solve is the
use of ssh-over-rsyncd that somebody has proposed, though.  Also I'm not
sure how I would handle the passing of additional options to the external
transport program (what we do now with -e 'shell [OPTIONS]').  Ok, so
maybe this is not so hot, but rsync:// is cool, IMHO.

-- Alberto

Alberto Accomazzi                          mailto:aaccomazzi at cfa.harvard.edu
NASA Astrophysics Data System                      http://adsabs.harvard.edu
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics        http://cfawww.harvard.edu
60 Garden Street, MS 83, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA