rsync error: unexplained error (code -1) at main.c(842)

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Feb 7 01:43:38 EST 2002

I've not seen that one before, but I tried to trace it in the source code.
A -1 from main.c line 842 means that start_client() returned a -1 which
means that start_socket_client returned -1 and there are several things
that can cause that.  Mostly they seem to be if the server doesn't do its
part of the protocol properly.  The client error message should definitely
be more descriptive.

Is there anything more descriptive in /var/log/rsyncd.log on the server?
The real problem is probably on the server.

- Dave Dykstra