rsync with openssh

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Feb 7 01:21:08 EST 2002

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 09:17:16AM -0500, Jim Ogilvie wrote:
> We've used rsync with an old ssh  for a couple of years with no problems.
> Now trying to switch to openssh 3.0.2p1 so we can use protocol 2.  Rsync
> makes
> the connection via ssh and does it's work. The problem is after rsync runs
> and exits
> on the server side the sshd session keeps running and isn't closing the
> connection.
> So the rsync client hangs waiting for the connection to end.
> Is anyone else having this problem? Know of a solution?

OpenSSH has a thoroughly-discussed difference between ssh 1.2.* of hanging
in some situations where server-side subprocesses haven't exitted and have
left some file descriptors open.  I've never heard anybody saying that this
has happened to them with rsync, however.  Tell us more about your
situation: what versions of rsync, what operating system, what filesystem
types, what rsync command line, what your data is like.  When it hangs,
see if there are any subprocesses still running on the server.

- Dave Dykstra