Error when compile rsync

Jennifer Lu mou at goodluck.Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Feb 1 12:56:50 EST 2002

Hi Albert,

Thanks for the help. I did compile rsync2.5.2 with 64 bit,
just want to confirm if I got it right.

When I ran rsync --version, I got:

% ./rsync --version
rsync  version 2.5.2  protocol version 26
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles, no
IPv6,
              64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

Thanks,
Jennifer

> From: Albert Chin <rsync at lists.thewrittenword.com>
> To: Jennifer Lu <mou at goodluck.Eng.Sun.COM>
> Cc: rsync at samba.org
> Subject: Re: Error when compile rsync
> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 00:40:58 -0600
>
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:49:33PM -0800, Jennifer Lu wrote:
> > Thanks for the quick reply. Configure was run successfully, just
> > curious for the output, because I ran it on Ultra-2 which is running
> > 64-bit, even the output from configure saying 64, but why the next line
> > "checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no" say no,
> >
> > configure: loading cache /dev/null
> > configure: Configuring rsync 2.5.2
> > checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.7
> > checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.7
> > checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.7
> > checking for gcc... no
> > checking for cc... cc
> > checking for C compiler default output... a.out
> > checking whether the C compiler works... yes
> > ..
> > checking for remsh... 1
> > checking for broken largefile support... no
> > checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
> > checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
> > checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
> > ..
> >

> > Does it mean that it doesn't support largefile?
>
> No. It means that in order to support large files,
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 is being added to $CPPFLAGS (look at CPPFLAGS
> in Makefile). This also means that you are *not* compiling a 64-bit
> version of rsync. You are compiling a 32-bit version with support for
> large files.
>
> To compile a 64-bit version:
>   $ CC=cc CFLAGS="-xarch=v9" ./configure [blah]
> This assumes you're using the Sun C compiler.
>
> --
> albert chin (china at thewrittenword.com)

Jennifer