Moving files revisited

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 1 05:23:59 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> It's up to Martin to decide, but I'm sorry to tell you that I'm opposed to
> a --move-files option.  I think that if somebody wants to do that they
> should do it with an external program after rsync returns a clean exit
> code.  It seems to me that it goes against the purpose of rsync because
> after the files are removed from the sending side there's nothing left to
> sync later.

I use rsync instead of scp to copy all my files from system to system,
even when I'm not going to synchronize anything.  The reason is that it
does so many things the right way that scp doesn't support (e.g. scp
opens a new ssh connection for every file, it has no option to write
data to a temp file outside of the destination dir and move it in place
when complete, it has no include/exclude options, a non-recursive copy
doesn't handle directories as nicely as rsync, etc.).

So, I understand where you're coming from, but I look at rsync as a
general file-copying tool (that is also very efficient at updating
files) rather than just as a tool that keeps files in sync.  I know that
the line has to be drawn somewhere, though, when deciding how much is
too much.

> I see that Tridge liked the idea in general but had some problems with your
> implementation:
>
>     http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2001-May/004282.html
>
> Have you addressed his concern?

That was my earliest patch from back before I understood the data flow
between all the rsync modules.  It was my work on the move-files option
that prompted me to do all the no-hang work, including the patch that is
required by the move-files option.  You'll find later discussion on the
list where Tridge (I believe) also objected to a buffer that could grow
dynamically.  I then changed my implementation to use a fixed-size
buffer, which is in the current patch.

Here's an overview of what the no-hang patch does, with some move-file
comments as well.

When the receiver process is created, it forks off a generator process
on the same machine with two pipes between them (both flowing from the
receiver to the generator).  The first is an error channel (that is also
used for verbose output) and the second is a redo channel that sends the
numbers of the files that need to be reprocessed.  In the generator, the
first channel is constantly checked for content, even when we're reading
the redo channel or writing out data to the sender (this is necessary to
keep the receiver from blocking trying to send the generator data while
the generator is trying to do something else).  However, the "redo" pipe
is not currently kept clear.  It is assumed that the number of redo
items will fit within a pipe's data buffer.  This assumption is usually
right, but for really large numbers of files it might fill up and cause
rsync to hang.  (Also, my move-files patch uses this channel, so it is
imperative that the redo channel be kept clear for --move-files to work).

My no-hang patch adds an array of flag ints, one for each item in the
list of files that are being sent.  The read process in io.c is then
extended to allow the redo pipe to be monitored, flagging all redo items
that show up into the flag array.  This keeps the channel clear, and
provides a way to regenerate the list of redo items for the generator.
(The move-files patch extends this to flag which items are complete and
can be deleted.)

The only complicating factor is what happens when we actually read the
redo channel's fd in a blocking manner at the end of the run (when we're
waiting for the -1 EOF flag).  While doing this, we need to be reading
the error channel and also continuing to flush the write channel to the
sender.  If we break away from the redo channel work to read or write
something else, that read function might actually read data from the
redo channel as a side-effect of its primary work (and we can't disable
this, since we need to keep the redo channel from blocking while doing
other read/write work).  My solution makes the read process aware of
when it is reading the redo channel, and has it return a -3 when some
side-effect work has already put data into the flag array (instead of
trying to read even more data that may not be there).  Since the
function calling the redo-read knows to look in the array, this results
in all the data being processed properly and in the correct order (note
that the function also keeps track of how many EOF -1 items it has seen,
which is vital to it working properly).

Once the redo channel has been made non-blocking, it is a very simple
matter to add move-files support.  The receiver sends the numbers of all
the files that have been successfully written over to the generator
process, which forwards them back to the sender via the normal (combo)
data channel, and the sender reads these safe-to-delete messages and
unlinks the corresponding file for each one it gets.