Fix for batch mode (was Re: batch mode maintainability)

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Feb 1 04:28:46 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 05:53:04PM -0800, Jos Backus wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 06:19:56PM -0801, Jos Backus wrote:
> > OK, I may need help with the markup part though, so I'll post a rough draft
> > here first.
>
> Here's my first attempt at improving the documentation of the batch mode
> feature.
> +.IP "\fB--write-batch=PREFIX\fP"
> +Generate a set of files that can be transferred as a batch update\&. Each
> +filename in the set starts with \fBPREFIX\fP.
> +.IP
> +.IP "\fB--read-batch=PREFIX\fP"
> +Apply a previously generated change batch, using the fileset whose filenames
> +start with \fBPREFIX\fP\&.

Refer people to the BATCH MODE section for more details.

> +Batch mode adds the ability to generate control information which describes
> +the changes that need to be made in order to turn a source directory tree into
> +a target directory tree.

The opening description should be easily understandable by somebody who
approaches it for the first time, and I don't think this fits the bill.
I think it should describe why somebody would want to use it, then it can
jump into the details about how it does it.

> +Note that in addition to creating the batch control files, the write-batch
> +option also makes the target directory tree identical to the source directory
> +tree.

I think "also performs the operations on the target" would be more accurate
than saying it makes the target identical to the source; it depends on the
other parameters.

The rest looks good.

- Dave Dykstra