am I missing something, or are permissions always preserved?

Dave Dykstra dwd at drdykstra.us
Tue Dec 24 13:09:00 EST 2002

When preserve_perms is not set, rsync sets a default permission based on
the original permissions and the umask.  A comment in flist.c says that is
what GNU cp does, so that's why rsync does it.   Comments in generator.c
and receiver.c indicate that if a file already exists and preserve_perms
isn't set, the original permissions should be preserved.

- Dave