rsync to 2000/NT servers?

Corey McGuire coreyfro at shargaas.coreyfro.com
Tue Dec 17 23:48:00 EST 2002

If you are going to copy a 2000 system (meaning, you'll have two from the
same image) you'll need Sysprep as well as ghost (available on MS's site)
which will make sure each has a unique GID.  If you are archiving a system
so that it is fully bootable, or upgrading a drive, ghost is about the only
solution.

Booting from DOS may be a large problem if you do not have a means of
storing the data.

Here is a DOS boot floppy I made with various DOS networking drivers.  It
is menu driven and the batch files are documented.

http://www.coreyfro.com/~coreyfro/froppy-1.6.1-ex.zip

You can "net use driveletter: \\hostname\share" to any "Windows" share.

For Samba users, MS's DOS Network Client has a max send buffer of 2048, and
the value is set in TCPUTILS.INI as maxsendsize=2048.  This is the limit!
Any value greater than 2048 will cause the client to default to 1024.
You'll want to set SO_RCVBUF=2048 in your smb.conf or performance will
suffer.  If you are not regularly uploading from DOS, then don't worry.

As far as not using ghost, I've investigated the use of device copying, but
ease of use is a major selling point for ghost.

Options commonly needed for making a ghost image of NTFS are "-ntil" and
"-ntic" which ignore various check done for NT.