Replace local linux OS with rsynced linux OS?

Dr. Poo drpoo at houston.rr.com
Sat Dec 14 18:38:01 EST 2002

Hi everyone, again. My question today is, how can i replace my development
boxs' local OS with a resynced version of the production OS (which currently
has it's home on the dev box)?

Say, for example (this is really how things are), I have production server
and a development box, and i'd like work on the development box as if it was
the production box. (And make changes to the production box after tested and
such on the dev box).

The dev box doesn't need to be in real time the same as the production
server, i'd just like to INITIATE development on the same (or about the same)
setup as is running in the "real world" on the production server.

After the new OS is running, i'd like to be able to boot up and have the new
OS be mounted as root., but still then be able to mount the old dev box OS
and copy files from it that were being developed previously...then remove the
old dev OS all together. Make sense?

I know this will require chroot, and changing fstab? and stuff like that....
Has anyone done anything like this (or this exactly)? (A shell script
possibly? or a better mailing list to be asking this question on?)

Specs:
	I'm running Red Hat 7.2 currently on both the dev and production box's.
	Hmm... What else?
		the dev and production box partitions are split into / (root) and /boot
only.
		the latest rsync of the production server is in
/home/backup/production_cpserver_com/hourly.0/ (meaning, if i chrooted to
that location, i would have a completely function version of the production
box)
		Anything else?

	Thanks in advanced! and a bundle!
		-Chris