rsync snapshot problem deleting files

Mike Rubel mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu
Sat Dec 14 00:00:01 EST 2002

> Well, I followed this link:
> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
>
> and implemented it (with a bit of tweaking) on my home network. It is
> used to make snapshots of two Windows PC's over samba. On one of the
> machines (and not the other, from what I can tell) it deletes files from
> the target machine for no good reason (ie. they still exist on the
> source machine). Then, if I run it again right away, it gets the files anew.

Hi again all,

Has anyone else seen Mark's problem, which sounds like a weird interaction
issue between samba and rsync?

Mark, I will add a note about your experience here to the web page; so
far it's the only report I've seen though, and I'd really like to get
more data.  Is anyone else running the rsync-snapshot trick from windows
machines via Samba?  Can we get more debugging information to determine
the source of the problem?

Thanks,
Mike