rsync snapshot problem deleting files

Mike Rubel mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu
Thu Dec 12 07:58:00 EST 2002

> Well, I followed this link:
> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
>
> and implemented it (with a bit of tweaking) on my home network. It is
> used to make snapshots of two Windows PC's over samba. On one of the
> machines (and not the other, from what I can tell) it deletes files from
> the target machine for no good reason (ie. they still exist on the
> source machine). Then, if I run it again right away, it gets the files anew.

Hi Mark,

I'm glad you were able to get the snapshot trick going on your home
network, though I'm sorry to hear about this trouble with the deletes.  I
studied the situation under Samba for quite a while on my system before
proclaming it working, so this is interesting and a bit worrying.  The
only irregularity I noticed on my systems was that sometimes files would
get sent over even if they hadn't changed, which I assumed was a
peculiarity of Samba, since it never happened from my Linux machines.  It
was only an extra file-send or two every few sync's, so I didn't worry
about it too much at the time.

Has anyone else tried what Mark describes here?  Are there any suggestions
or comments?  I'll stay tuned for a couple of days, and then make a note
on the website, since this is something other potential implementers will
need to know about.

Mike Rubel